Wednesday, September 08, 2004

They Could. They Would. But Mine Won't.

Powerline continues the discussion of "They'd Never Try It Here, Would They?"

Hindrocket points out that plans to that effect have already come to light once in this country with the arrest of Mohamad Kamal Elzahabi in Minnesota two months ago. This, however, is only part of the equation. One website lists "Recent Worldwide School Shootings" dating back to 1996, including, of course, the tragedy at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado. The list has shootings both here in the United States, as well as several in other parts of the world.

It matters little whether such shootings were the machinations of "Islamofascist" terrorists, or the deranged vengeance of homocidal teens. We can never again assume the safety of our children in a public setting. It has become painfully obvious that we now live in a world that is arguably more violent than at any time in its past. The means for exacting that violence are readily available for a price, and any hoodlum bent on mischief can now buy a gun or make a bomb.

I take a little heat (friendly fire, if you will) from family and friends who have taken note of my old-fogeyness. Since divorcing my first wife, I have become decidedly more settled in my ways, and much more conservative than I ever was in my philosophy. Finding and marrying my sweetheart, and being blessed with our two sweet girls has sharpened my focus, and softened my tastes. No longer can I watch movies that espouse or glorify wanton, gratuitous violence, or the current attitudes that Hollywood seems to peddle as being "normal" today. Nor will I subject my children to these influences. I see no reason to help them develop the "disrespect everything and everyone - and do it sarcastically" mindset so prevalent in today's culture.

(I really don't mean to pick on Hollywood exclusively in this case. It's just not fair. Much of what comes out of Hollywood is good and truly entertaining. But not enough of it is. So, since they have the most visible face, they get the slam. Sorry, but not very.)

I want my kids to be safe. I may not be able to guarantee their safety in all cases. But I can and will do everything in my power to make sure they don't become the sort of "disenfranchised" personalities that would be capable of perpetrating such a crime against others. No matter how angry they may feel.

No comments: